Friday, December 05, 2003

Okay, it's December. The "most wonderful time of the year". Oh come on. Exactly what's wonderful about it? You get presents. You get days off school. So? What's the real point of the holidays? How many people really go to church on Christmas? But, I know it's none of my business what people do on Christmas, but what I don't like is how the schools are decorated. Santa Clauses, mini Christmas trees, reindeer... Sorry, but not everyone celebrates it. A school is a place of learning. It's not a place where Einstein is wearing a Santa Claus hat and Frida Kahlo's a character from Dr. Seuss.
Okay, I'll tell the truth. I do celebrate Christmas and I enjoy Christmas music. But I'm equally interested in the celebration of Channukah, Kwanzaa, Diwali (my holiday) and others. But the whole Christmas spirit thing is way overblown. But you can have Christmas spirit! Decorate your homes, eat candy canes, spread tinsel for all I care. But a public learning institution should not be biased towards a certain religion or culture. I mean for God's sake, there are huge Christmas trees in the capitol, the Rockafeller Plaza and everywhere else. It simply isn't fair for a government building to show favoritism among holidays and such. Or if they do feel the need to display their religion, it would be nice if they represented other religions as well. So many Christmas decorations and holiday symbols may make a young child feel less confident about admitting their religion if they are not a Christmas celebrating religion.
The problem is that America is a mainly Christian country and those who aren't are in minority. Therefore, influential areas, like schools, feel that it is okay to display religious icons (not speaking of Jesus figurines, but Christmas symbols such as Santa Clauses and such), though it does not give voice to the minorities in the area. For goodness sake, they made us go see Elf as a reward for doing well. I'm not saying that it was not an enjoyable movie, but it is the principle that is more important. I, therefore conclude that the school would be a less biased religiously and commercial if the school put up winter decorations, but not that of Christmas, because you come to school to be taught in Academics and other necessary areas, but choice of religion should not be influenced by schools.

No comments: