Saturday, November 19, 2005

My mom thinks that the Harry Potter movies should be miniseries because they're too long to be compressed into movies.


I disagree.
On opening day, my brother had his supplementary birthday party coinciding with the opening of the movie version of my favorite Harry Potter book. So my mother booked like 13 tickets in advance to accomodate my little brother's friends, my friends and stuff. So we get to the theater.. and take up all of the first two rows.. because ofcourse we get there at like, 8:45.. and everyone's already seated. And my friend Mallika cruelly negotiated with the young children in our clan to take the front row so we could take the back row. After like 2 calls to my mom who was at the concessions, the movie commercials ended... and the movie music began.

The movie started with the Riddle House dream.. but Harry woke up at the Weasleys... he'd been awoken by an angry Hermione Granger (or Emma Watson, for those of you who refuse to believe that she's Hermione), who goes on to wake up Ron, who doesn't want to wake up, but gets an "EEEEE!" from me in the second row. And here we go. Within 10 seconds, we're being whisked away on a portkey to the World Cup that has more images, more scenery and so much going on that your brain can't possibly process it in fast enough time.

And like, four seconds later, we're on the train and we get our first glimpse at Harry's crush, the adorable novice actress Cho Chang (Katie Leung)... who lets face it, works as the eye candy, apart from the hard-faced Emma Watson, who played Hermione yet again. Don't get me wrong, she's beautiful.. but something was up with her eyebrows, i'm thinking i just don't like her without bangs as much as i did with them..

But otherwise, the visuals are amazing, the actors keep getting hotter (gotta love them Weasley twins) and with the added PG-13 rating comes some romance that really spices things up and makes the humour more funny.

It broke my heart when Ron (Rupert Grint) and Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) were in a spat. In the book, it was sad, but in this.. it made me feel terrible for both Harry and Ron. Ron, because he was always overshadowed... and Harry because they all ditched him.

Some people may complain the dialogue wasn't exactly like the book, but I don't because it becomes newer and more interesting. Especially the Yule Ball sequences...
:)

The tasks in this one were awesome. It was amazing how much they were able to put into the movie, though the plot was condensed. The only part that suffered was the general dialogue between the characters that wasn't plot related.

I especially loved the mersong in the prefects bathroom.. it was pretty and just the way i'd imagine mermaids to sing.

The romance in this movie was.. as I would say, "hnnnnnggghhhh". Everyone knew that Ron liked Hermione, and Hermione likes Ron. But they weren't together... and it made me love Ron even more for his jealousness of Viktor Krum. Harry's DOA crush on Cho, doesn't make us feel any less angsty.. considering she went with the opposing champion. But I loved how they went with two Indian girls... (w00t, for us indian girls). The banter between Ron and Hermione at the ball was priceless. The Hagrid/Maxime parts were adorable (they tastefully left out the big breakup). And.. the Ron/McGonagall dance was hot. haha.

The one thing that I felt lacked a tiny bit in this movie was Hermione's kick ass role, due to the cutting of S.P.E.W. and the explanation of the ending as well as the Cornelius Fudge foreshadowing the fifth book. The Rita Skeeter plot was left open ended... and I'm thinking, maybe the writers got lazy? Ah, who knows.

BUT DEFINITELY GO SEE IT. in fact, pirate it and send it to me. just kidding. you think.
It was definitely amazing.. it'll break your heart into a thousand tiny little bits, but warm you up inside.

No comments: