Monday, September 26, 2005

I have had a very strange epiphany. I have decided that Hilary Duff does not bug me anymore. And Fall Out Boy is actually mildly touching.

It just seems pointless wasting any energy on fighting music that I choose not to invest in. I mean, we're all good people. We're all into different sounds, yet they are all connected. And we all like different things but we're all the same. And besides, Hilary Duff seems a whole lot different and better now. Like, she listens to the Clash. So maybe her music reflects it? And I figure you can't be overly critical of genres or music that you don't listen to because they were not made to please you. They were made to benefit the person who wrote it and let them share their emotion with the world. And honestly, no ones forcing you to listen to music you don't like. And no emo boys are claiming to be rockers.
And if a band is trying something new, I say "Good for them" because they're not making music to keep recording the same song every time.

Also, to those who are big music snobs, it is realllly hard to write songs... especially if one is a female artist trying to get cred in the male-driven rock world. The Bikini Kill was never as popular as Nirvana was it? So if it's not all brilliant, remember that it takes a lot of practice before brilliance is achieved.

That said, it is important, for me, at least, to like a variety of music ranging form pop to rock to reggae to indian to african to really.. anything. You shouldn't dislike something based on it's label.And you shouldn't be afraid to like it. Because the whole point of music is to express ourselves through not completely verbal means. And it's supposed to heal, and make you feel. And you can't find music that does that unless you, yourself, seek out the music that makes you feel.
So really right now, for myself, I wanna end the musical hate. But I'll still probably gag if I see a bunch of kids with Good Charlotte sweatshirts.

That being said, that doesn't mean that I can't be a little bit helpful and poke you in the direction of music that will help.

No comments: