Friday, January 01, 2010

Some (mostly cool) things I did in 2009

  • Grew out of my straightened hair. That was cool. Got a super chic haircut that turned heads upon getting curly hair. :)
  • Started eating beef again? I'm anemic and I have to start eating red meat in order to get more iron because my ferrous sulfate tablets threaten to make me hurl and I think pork is too chewy.
  • Ate at Five Guys with a homeless guy who tried to give us a necklace in turn for a burger and then Jason felt bad for him and said he'd give him some fries to which he responded "Please, I've had so many fries!"
  • Gone on a camping trip with my friends complete with swimming in a lake, not showering, kissing boys, making breakfast in the morning and singing in the car both ways.
  • Visited Washington DC with my best friend and stayed at my fabulous teacher's house. Rode the subway every day and lived the good life for about a week.
  • Had a summer of dreams: working at a great internship, hanging out with friends every day, watching television and actually getting life things accomplished (as well as the aforementioned two trips)
  • Got a 5 on my Calc AP test and passed the UW Calc 221 placement test-- I'm not so great at tests, who would've thought?
  • Survived my stupid dance class, getting into college and also the whole forgetting to send in my housing deposit thing.
  • Opened up a checking account and credit card with a bank as an 18-year-old.
  • Got good grades at college because of what I actually knew and learned and tried to do and not because I crammed for my finals or because I did lots of extra credit, but because I tried my best and wanted to learn what I was learning.
  • Made (some) new friends. Kept the old! :) Built lasting friendships through experiences and had some of the best times of my life!
  • Organized all this stuff only to have it fall apart again, of course.
  • Realized that I might just really want to be fluent in French.
  • Allowed myself to fall back in love with music and get really excited about it.
  • Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm in a band full of sweet ass musicians? We are not named yet.
  • Got a faux-new years kiss the hour before the new year from a very delicious hunk of man.
  • Rang in the new year before everyone else while doing college applications in India
  • Actually succeeded in making some great gifts for people and some awesome mix CDs too.
  • Got an ass like Bascom. Well, kind of.
  • Was industrious, was not shy and schmoozed up people.
  • Was not afraid to ask for help, to speak my mind, and to flaunt my talent and was frequently rewarded for it.
  • Received one of the "best" scores on a midterm and got part of it copied for the class to read.
  • Got to do a duet with one of my best friends.
  • Sang an arrangement of "Fidelity" in a Benefit Concert for glioblastoma, arranged by Jason Shao.
  • Got into a really weird collegiate sleeping pattern, hung out late, party-hopped, and friend-juggled
  • Was single for some of the time, but taken the rest of the time. Was single during prom, but still had the most perfect romantic evening.
  • Went to state for forensics. Won lots of tournaments. Almost qualified for nationals in oratory.
  • Won 2nd place in a sweet poetry contest and received an actual ESSAY that an ACTUAL poet wrote analyzing MY poems. Talk about the most flattering thing ever :)!
  • I got my job at the Free Press which taught me a lot about how to write journalistically.
  • Realized that only I can fill the hole in my life.
  • Made friends with people I thought were too cool to hang out with me.
  • Got Respect. I'm not really happy unless I'm gettin' respect. I felt like I showcased the good things about me a lot, and I think that means I've grown a lot as a person.
  • Re-read some of the books I loved as a kid.
  • Made a total fool of myself, but I think it made me a better person most of the time :)
DISCLAIMER: sorry if this is boring, and sorry if it seems conceited. but really, 2009 was a pretty great year for me in retrospect.

3 comments:

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

you might as well call it "High Fidelity," that statement is so inaccurate!

and i thought you should mention that even though you ate red meat again and went to five guys, you still have burgerphobia.

also that new year story is way out of order. you should organize this chronologically. since i don't think anyone else will have a clue what happened or what the identity of this mysterious hunk you met in india was.

becca said...

in response to jason:
1. she ate a burger today.
2. i followed the story perfectly and knew exactly who the hunk was.

in response to aarushi:
some of the best moments in 2009 were spent with you. you have had a huge impact on my life and i think you have every right to sound conceded in a blog post because you really did do those things and should be proud. sorry for the run on sentence that only connected a little.