Wednesday, April 21, 2010

This makes me really upset.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/21/arizona.immigration.bill/index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/us/22immig.html?ref=us


Apparently there is a law being passed in Arizona, which allows the police to have "reasonable suspicion" to arrest someone who they suspect is an illegal immigrant.

I think that this kind of issue is just the most painful thing to deal with; such a law, however, I feel will definitely encourage racial profiling. This just brings to mind the McCarthy era-- can't they find another way to screen for illegal immigrants? I don't know enough about the issue to know if (in the CNN interview) Republican State Senator Pearce's claims are accurate or if legal defender Isabel Garcia's facts are accurate either. However, I get annoyed that all undocumented immigrants get shit for what only a few of them do.

I want to know why it's necessary to change the law at all. With the current law, immigration status is checked when the person is arrested for a crime. However, now, this law will allow cops to stop anyone who they suspect might be an immigrant, which I feel, fosters an environment of fear for anyone of Latino heritage (or people who look like they have Latino heritage). And that's that.

No comments: