Sunday, January 01, 2006

2005. BEST. YEAR. EVER.
All the good things that Happened in O5.


1. So like, Classes.
I came back from a blissful, Gilmore Girls filled break to find that, all of my classes had been switched. I was in complete and utter shock. But soon, I grew to love my lack of a friendly environment. It wasn't as if people were mean, anyway.. they were just never people that I hung out with. I had a friend in 2 of my classes. But the new people allowed me to branch outwards and actually know about people besides my own friends who kind of had their heads stuck in their own clouds.
I made sort of friends.. or at least peace, with a lot of people.. and realized that they weren't half bad.

2. The Musical Renaissance
I guess it came around the New Year. That year's New Year was actually a good one for resolutions. I made like a million resolutions, a lot of which, I didn't keep, but those that I did, were the best changes I've ever made. Because I changed so much. So after a while.. maybe after I started watching Gilmore Girls and stopped listening to the radio, I realized that the music that I'd been listening to, didn't do much for me at all. It didn't make me happy or lighten my mood. But I knew that there was music that I knew that kept me happy... for example, I liked Rooney, Queen, The Beatles, Franz Ferdinand, Bright Eyes, the Shins, Jamie Cullum, the Strokes and random bands I had heard and loved, even though they weren't exactly mainstream... but that year, I figured, to hell with the mainstream... I wanted to find the music that made me happy... and it was easier than I thought... as soon as I came across a lovely internet program called... Limewire... that allowed me to listen to music that I actually like. Finally this year, I was able to locate the music that had been beating underneath my skin, for so many years.

3. Ah, the birth of the bean.
It was this year that I truly became addicted to coffee. See, I was always unable to sleep at night.. I mean, even now, it's like 2:33 AM. I had severe insomnia.. and am still chronically sleep deprived. In 8th grade, this was a problem, considering the fact that being a fully fledged teenager who had to stay up late for these truly dreadful history tests that the best teacher ever set, well, you had to stay up late and study and be exhausted the whole rest of the day, because your test was first period. I used to use Altoids to keep me alive, but this didn't work so well, and I found myself falling ill. Probably near the end of 2004, I began drinking coffee steadily... just to wake up in the morning.. I needed it. But I became dependant on it after I began to use it on days when I didn't get any sleep... or I would binge at night before staying up late...
I guess you could say I hit rock bottom when I was spotted smuggling coffeegrounds to school in a plastic bag and drinking them down with water... my friend Mary kindly confiscated them... but really..
I'd have to say coffee was a good addition, because it allowed me to go without sleep and still be alive... although, now without coffee, I'm pretty much crazy.

4. Oh well, whatever. Nevermind.
Nothing like a good infatuation to screw with your mind in 8th grade... and that's just what I had... it was very painful. But it was a breath of fresh air from being prospect-less all the time prior. It sucked though.

5. So, so you think you can spell...
I fulfilled my destiny in winning the school spelling bee and landing in like 5th or something at the regionals... I seriously learned how much I truly hated spelling, especially out loud. I pretty much threw the regionals... even though I know how to spell gerrymandering. Cuz, um, I never wanted to spell ever again...but, don't tell my parents that.

6. As we go on, we remember..
I would have to say, one of the most sad, yet amazing moments this year was promotion...
In 8th grade, in Verona, they always have this really luxe graduation ceremony that everyone prepares for all year.. Girls talk about and buy their dresses the summer before 8th grade and everyone freaks out over the farewell dance...
well, being the procrastinator that I have the misfortune to be, I didn't buy a dress until the weekend before the Farewell Dance. But I suppose I didn't much care for the dance anyway.
It was nice... it gave me some closure on that infatuation thing... and well, it broke one of my best friends hearts for a good long while. Ah well.
The real event came with promotion... it was so surreal before that.. it seemed like a big joke that I would be leaving Verona.. I would be leaving all the people that I'd grown up with, but I had to realize it.. and I realized that it was for the best, because every change that has happened in my life, has changed it for the better. I was giving a speech at promotion, although, I didn't know what I would say.. it was like, some big deal to me, to tell everyone goodbye.. to see them off, to wish them luck. Promotion is just a big blur to me.. it was amazing.. and strange and filled with.. moments.
Like, when I said my speech, and like, I don't know, people crying.. When I got my "middle school completion certificate". And the whole time, I didn't shed a single tear, I just sat their shaking my leg... shivering in that cold room..
and then..it was over.
And I was just like, standing up... and all my friends rushed over and hugged me... and then Sarah hugged me and cried like, "I'M GONNA MISS YOU SO MUCH"... and I don't know how, but that just... well
I was pretty much waterworks after that. And Sarah started to cry... and Mary started to cry and Cassie cried... and we have all these pictures of all of us with our makeup running everywhere.. and trust me.. i looked disgusting.
Later, me and Sarah went to Coldstone. And then we all went to the Promotion Party thing at the HighSchool and got this big ass group pic of all of us.

7.The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
The summer of memories kicked off on the Washington DC trip, which was sort of a blast, besides the fact that 2 of my friends were told by my father to run interference and not let me drink coffee... a statement which they took all too seriously. It was amazing though, seeing all those monuments with some of my best friends. I totally spent all of the 70 dollars I was given... We got these majorly weird food coupons, that redeemed food, so I always got Indian food, because I missed my home.. Not too much happened other than that.. just a lot of reflection and a lot of giggles.

8. Skies may not always be blue.. but One thing is clear as can be.
It was that time again. That CTM time. Oh yes. It was clear as day that this would be the biggest, bombest, raunchiest CTM ever. This might have possibly been due to the format change from Punk to Classic Rock. Or perhaps because we had a new director by the name of Andy, who had all this new wave "type" stuff going on... or the fact that I was not the only one this year with an ...(drumroll please) iPod.
Or maybe it was because we all knew eachother. Or some kind of bizarre twist in the space time continuum which placed Sierra into my summer life. Well, I guess I always knew that she'd follow me into my new world.
Basically, one of the cool things that happened, was that I, yes, little old Indian loudmouth, me, got a lead role.. which was actually quite nice considering the lines were like 15% en Francais and 100% in a French accent... and I got a song... which is redemption for all the money my parents have spent sending me to drama school all these years.
Plus there was like a new cast of fresh hotties and a very delectable set of new interns (including LorettaMaretta, who me and Allie just always forgot whether her name was either one).
and of course.. there was that little time when we met Rachel Bilson & Zach Braff. And um, yeah, those were totally my pictures that they put in the press release. Thanks for asking.
That show was pretty much lots and lots of fun, with a little bit of drama, a little bit of mischief... tossed in. you know. To keep the egos happy.

9. Let the good times roll.
This was the summer of dreams... the summer of music. the summer of no love whatsoever. The summer of finding our ways around state street... of buying the new harry potter book, the second it came out. Of finishing that Harry Potter book within a day of buying it... and doing water aerobics classes to socialize with old people... of going to State Street every Friday and dreaming about the man at the record store... of taking pictures no end and photoshopping them to make them look pretty. Of staying up late on AIM, and having your friend send you a whole Interpol album, of trying and failing to find a job... of discovering my psychological need for Pink Floyd and starting to play the guitar. Of practicing with my cute faux-band and taking our show on the road, all the way to Green Lake... and paying our groupies in cookies, and stopping at IHOP at 11 pm and making friends with the staff and the guy who sits behind us... of taking a good hard look at the selves we are or used to be... and accepting and being open to change... of being young.. of living... I pretty much had a kick ass summer.

10. And if the answer is no, can I change your mind?
Starting school... was... I have no idea how to describe it.. I guess you could say.. Memorial was an adjustment. A huge one. Like... only now, am I slightly sure of my presence there, and my sense of belonging. When I first got here, it was just .. all very big. And I guess it takes me a long while to orient myself.. shake myself out of my agoraphobia and meeting people. At first, I was like, "HOLY SHIT. IT'S A FUCKING HUMAN STAMPEDE." and then... it just slowed into a sort of depressive state.. not all of us got to fall in love on the first day. I can't say it was easy at all.. it took me like 3 weeks to fully get used to everything, the people, the teachers, the hallways.. and it took me even longer to get used the homework, because my summer was a bit too blissful and Memorial is a bit too big of an adjustment... and so is geometry.
I have to say, I did the first real thing wrong in my life at homecoming... by sneaking in... but I didn't really have a choice.. since I was avoiding being raped. After a while, I began to enjoy my routine and find people I could pretty much stand to talk to... and some forced socializing always helps to make friends... my most instant friends were in my photo class, because we all basically clicked.. and since RJ is basically my hero, I hung out with his friends pretty much everyday at lunch.. and then there's always the DDAF people, and Xiomara and my friend Chris..and the random frosh who I've somehow managed to befriend. Because for me, it's not difficult to make friends, it's just difficult for me to decide whether or not I actually like them.. I'm sort of a drifter in my school... because there isn't a group that I've decided on.. and I like it,because I can hang around with whoever.

11. We'll hang around and say musical grace.
A sidenote.. I went to the Decemberists concert and the Kodos concert. and they pretty much kicked ass.
And also, I got to refriend some of the people I was afraid of losing touch with like Mary and Eba. Thank god.

12.&& i found a fatal flaw in the logic of love
So basically, I was liked by people who didn't like me back and um, I guess now that's over..
and also... I went through a lot of weird crushes/potentials/prospects... and um.. am now.. sadly, in love for the second time in my whole life... and that's basically what I guess is going to kick off my new year... Oh good, lord. So welcome 2006... and may you be even better than 2005.

No comments: